MSJ Sixth Form
Malvern St James offers an extensive choice of A Level and Diploma subjects together with a strong enrichment programme which is personally tailored to each girl’s individual strengths. This along with a wealth of opportunities to extend and enhance their understanding and experiences beyond the curriculum ensures the foundations of a happy and successful life after they leave Malvern St James.
It is our expectation that most girls will choose three linear A Levels (or Diplomas) to study over two years, alongside an EPQ, a single AS in subjects where it is offered or Leiths. Equally some girls may choose instead to study four A Levels.
A Level subjects are offered in:
- Art and Design: Fine Art or Textiles
- Classical Civilisation
- Computer Science
- Design and Technology: Product Design
- Drama and Theatre Studies
- English Literature
- Mathematics and Further Mathematics
- Religion and Philosophy
We also offer:
- Level 3 Diploma in Food Science and Nutrition (equivalent to one A-level)
- BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in Sport (Performance and Excellence) (equivalent to two A-levels)
- BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Sport (Performance and Excellence) (equivalent to one A-level)
Each girl also has lessons in PSHEEC, Enrichment and non-examined PE each week.
A curriculum EAL class is taught for those who would benefit from such provision, as allocated by the Head of EAL. Pupils whose first language is not English can take GCSE and A Level examinations in their own languages, where available. This offer is continued into the Sixth Form.
The Learning Support Department employs a graduated response to meet the needs of each pupil. This includes small group interventions as well as individual support lessons.