During Lockdown number three girls may not have been at School but that did not stop the development of our new Prep Garden being created. The garden includes a polytunnel, raised veg beds and an outdoor classroom.
Relatable learning is at the heart of our Prep curriculum, which is exactly what our Prep Garden will provide us with opportunities for. Recent studies have shown that the outcomes for involving children in school gardening are vast, including;
- Greater scientific knowledge and understanding,
- Enhanced literacy and numeracy, including the use of a wider vocabulary and greater oracy skills,
- Increased awareness of the seasons and understanding of food production,
- Increased confidence,
- Resilience and self-esteem,
- Development of physical skills, including fine motor skills,
- Development of a sense of responsibility,
- A positive attitude to healthy food choices,
- Positive behaviour.
We are very excited about our new venture and are on seedling watch in the Year 6 classroom, where propagators line the window ledges. Watch out for our next instalment.