At MSJ, Scholarships acknowledge exceptional individual ability and talent in a particular area. We welcome applications for Music Scholarships at 11+, 13+ and 16+, which are awarded on merit.
Becoming an MSJ scholar means striving for your best and sharing that passion with others.
The Malvern St James Music Scholar:
- Has an overwhelming passion for the subject and pursues their passion both in and outside of the classroom, making a positive contribution to the musical life of the School.
- Participates in concerts and musical ensembles: Orchestra, Choir and Chamber Ensembles as appropriate.
- Attends all appropriate rehearsals and supports the Music Department both in School and in the wider community.
- At Sixth Form takes leadership positions within the Music Department and helps to encourage other musicians in all areas of music making.
- Show considerable potential in their preferred instrument or voice.
- Ideally offer two instruments for assessment; candidates with only one instrument are nevertheless encouraged to apply.
- For 11+ Scholarships have reached or be working towards ABRSM or Trinity College Grade 4 (or equivalent) in their first study and Grade 3 in their second study (either of which may be singing).
- For 11+ and 13+ Scholarships expect to study Music at GCSE.
- For 13+ Scholarships have reached ABRSM or Trinity College Grade 5 (or equivalent) in their first study and Grade 3 in their second study (either of which may be singing).
- For 16+ Scholarships study A Level Music in the Sixth Form.
- For 16+ Scholarships have reached The ABRSM or Trinity College Grade 6 or equivalent in their first study and Grade 4 in their second study (either of which may be Singing).
Music Scholarship Assessment:
Candidates are free to perform a contrasting programme of their own choice. Those with an interest in composition are also encouraged to present a portfolio of original compositions and / or arrangements. All candidates will have the opportunity to rehearse with an accompanist prior to the audition.
Applicants should have considerable potential; ideally, they will already be achieving the best possible marks in their respective fields, whether academic or practical. In addition, applicants should be outstanding role models for other girls.
In addition to our Senior and Sixth Form Music Scholarships, we have the Lynne Lindner Music Award, a bursary which fully funds a sixth form day place at MSJ, as well as giving an additional 10% to cover items such as instrumental tuition, sheet music and instrument hire if needed.
This is a transformational opportunity for an exceptionally talented musician to join MSJ Sixth Form.
Scholars benefit from free music tuition on their first instrument.