Scholarships and Awards
Malvern St James Scholarships are offered in a variety of disciplines including Academic, Art, Drama, Flexi-Boarding, Music, Riding, Sport and Technology. Scholarships are designed to reward excellence and to celebrate exceptional talent. We welcome open applications for Scholarships and Exhibitions at 11+, 13+ and 16+, which are awarded on merit.
Scholarships carry a fee remission of up to 10% for Senior School Scholarships. The final award will be considered alongside any other bursaries and remissions, the combined total of which will not exceed 40% of fees.
Sixth Form Scholarships may carry a fee remission subject to means testing. All Scholarships are awarded for as long as the student remains at the School, provided that her progress and conduct are excellent.
Scholarship awards are honorary and are highly valued by universities and future employers.
A wealth of enrichment and extension activities are available to all girls at Malvern St James including:
- Lectures, forums and inspirational speakers
- Competitions and essay prizes
- Somerville Suppers and debates for senior scholars
- Leadership positions
- University and Oxbridge preparation programme
In addition, scholars will be offered a range of bespoke opportunities with considerable value, including:
- Mentoring and further extending skills
- Masterclasses and workshops
- Trips and visits
- Regular specialist meetings
Malvern St James Scholars are expected to:
- Make a significant contribution to all areas of School life
- Participate actively in all events relating to their specialism
- Identify ways in which they can use their talents to contribute to the wider School community
- Demonstrate leadership and initiative
- Work as ambassadors for the relevant subject area, both in and out of School
- Contribute to the extra-curricular activities in the School
- Perform at a very high standard in their specialist area, showing exemplary commitment and dedication
Applicants should have considerable potential; ideally, they will already be achieving the best possible marks in their respective fields, whether academic or practical. In addition, applicants should be outstanding role models for other girls.
- Year 7
- Year 7 Scholarships are awarded for excellence in the following specialist areas: Academic, Art, Drama, Music and Sports.
- Year 9
- Year 9 Scholarships are awarded for excellence in the following specialist areas: Academic, Art, Drama, Music, Riding, Sports, Flexi-Boarding and Technology.
- Year 10
- Year 10 Scholarships are awarded for Flexi-Boarding.
- Sixth Form
- Sixth Form Scholarships are awarded for excellence in the following specialist areas: Academic, Art, Drama, Music, Riding, Sports and Technology alongside the Founders' Award.
- Girls will study at least three A Levels during their time in the Sixth Form alongside an EPQ or a single AS in subjects where it is offered. There is an opportunity for very able girls to study four A Levels
Application and Timings
Sixth Form Scholarships
Applications for Sixth Form Scholarships for 2021 are now closed, applications for 2022 will open in the Summer Term.
Please visit The Founders’ Award page for additional deadlines for this award
Senior School Scholarships
- The application deadline has now passed for 2021 Senior Scholarships
- Assessments: Monday 11 and Tuesday 12 January 2021 (TBC)
- Interviews: W/C 25 January 2021
Please note: girls must be registered with the School before applying for a Scholarship
The Founders' Awards
Launched in Autumn 2015, The Founders’ Awards, is a bursary programme to enable outstanding students to access the excellent educational opportunities offered at Malvern St James. The Awards are named in honour of our founding schools and the pioneering women who established all-girls’ education in Malvern. The Founders’ Awards will increase accessibility to the school and build upon an already deep-rooted tradition of Bursary and Scholarship provision. The scheme has been created as a result of a generous bequest left to Malvern St James in 2014. The number of Awards given, and the value of each, will be kept deliberately flexible so that we are able to reach the most deserving girls and address their individual circumstances. In this way we create something which is bespoke and represents a meaningful contribution to the recipient.