contact us
parent portal
contact us
parent portal
RELATED NEWS

Young Enterprise

Young Enterprise

SUBMENU

Young Enterprise

"YE has taught me a lot about my own personal skills and faults, and has also shown me the values of working as a team, especially when things get tough. Overall it has allowed me to experience the running of a business, which I think will be extremely useful in the future." Sarah Jackson, Marketing Director

There is a strong tradition of Enterprise education at MSJ. Young Enterprise (YE) is a programme that is offered to all Year 12 students. The girls set up their companies in September and 'learn by doing'.

The girls do everything that a real business does including creating a name for their company, selling shares, raising funds, creating and marketing a product to the public and then finally dissolving the company, splitting their assets and paying dividends. All of this is done with the support of Young Enterprise, a business advisor from the local community who can share their business expertise and experience with them, as well as their centre lead in school.

"I loved interacting with customers and marketing our products in different ways at the trade fairs. As we progressed as a company, I realised the best ways to talk about our product which improved my ability to persuade people to purchase from us!" Andrea Rugasira, Managing Director

Taking part of YE allows students to learn about the four functional areas of a business; HR – the importance of electing the right Managing Directors for your company and what happens if people don’t pull their weight; Operations – the importance of having a good quality product, and how that can affect sales; Marketing – the importance of creating a strong brand for your product; Finance – the importance of keeping good records of their costs and earnings and how pricing of a final product impacts a consumers buying behaviour. But they also learn a lot of transferable skills that will help them throughout their life. For example, they learn the importance of teamwork - working with peers and people that you wouldn't generally come across on a day-to-day basis (whether that’s other students or staff in school, or people in outside businesses that they are dealing with when trying to source their materials etc). They learn about time management - there are various aspects of YE, a lot of which has strict deadlines that they have to adhere to. The girls learn the act of balancing all of their commitments, whether they be school, work, YE, sport and other extracurricular activities they are involved in. And we can’t forget about the skills they learn whilst making their final product – whether that be candle making, making chopping boards, creating slate placemats, reed diffusers etc.

“I signed up for YE because it was a nice contrast to my other subjects. It is hard work but really rewarding to put time into a business idea that you care about.” Izzy Lee, Managing Director

Girls take part in out-of-School activities as part of the programme. Highlights include the Christmas Trade Fair in November, the Spring Trade Fair in Worcester and the National Trade Fair at Stratford-upon-Avon. Students compete and present their companies at the Worcestershire Presentation Evening, with the hopes of making it through to the Herefordshire and Worcestershire County Final and then to the West Midlands Regional level!

"I joined YE because I had never done anything to do with Business Studies or Economics before so it would be a totally new experience for me. I also knew that it would add more diversity to my University application. Through YE, I learnt how to work as a team and what it was like to run a real business. It was also interesting to try and sell a product to the general public.” Imy Townsend, Admin Director

"I have really enjoyed being part of a YE company. Being able to participate in a business company is way more interesting than I expected, we were able to come up with ideas and products that could make an impact to society!" Prudence Lo, Sales Director

Find out more:

Follow MSJ YE on Twitter @msj_ye or visit www.young-enterprise.org.uk